The City by the Sea has beaten the rest of the country for the top slot on the literacy rate ladder, according to statistics mentioned by the Pakistan Millenium Development Report of 2006.

In 1998, Rawalpindi was at the top slot, followed by Karachi, Lahore, Jehlum, Gujrat, Sialkot, Quetta, Chakwal, Abbottabad, and finally Gujranwala rounding off the top 10 most educated districts in Pakistan. Seven years later, however, the positions have changed slightly. Karachi now holds the top slot, followed by Rawalpindi which has slipped a notch.

Lahore has maintained its position at number 3, while Chakwal has moved up four places (from number 8 to number 4). Gujranwala is up five places (from number 10 to number 5), Jehlum and Gujrat have dropped two places to numbers 6 and 7 respectively, Quetta has dropped one place to number 9, while Sialkot has dropped a whopping four notches to number 10 (from number 6 in 1998).

Shud we rejoice on this statistics....or u have some reservation upon "Definition" of literate in Pakistan :-)......

Views: 310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is interesting. I always thought Karachi was the most literate, so it's not a surprise. What is a surprise is that Rawalpindi was reportedly ahead in 1998. What are the reported literacy rates? Is there a link to the actual data you can share?
Thx
may be due to population factor rawalpindi was ahead of karachi....and we also know that young students from various rural areas of pakistan speacially from NWFP usually come to rawalpindi for getting admission in universities of Islamabad.

Resource for above mentioned news was UNDP MDG Report which can be accessed by
http://www.undp.org.pk/publication/PMDGR05.pdf

although i din find anything related to khi :-).....
chakwal?? I kinda dont get this......thats weird....
I happen to know a little bit about Chakwal. One of the co-founders of my last company is from Chakwal and I know a couple of others here in the valley. My co-founder Fazal is an MIT grad and a very accomplished person. Apparently, there is an achievement culture in Chakwal and it is very close to Islamabad. It's the biggest supplier of recruits for the military and the police in Pakistan. Well-known columnist Ayaz Amir is from Chakwal.

RSS

Pre-Paid Legal

Twitter Feed

follow me on Twitter

Sponsored Links

South Asia Investor Review
    Investor Information Blog

Haq's Musings
    Riaz Haq's Current Affairs Blog

Please Bookmark This Page!

Blog Posts

Pakistani Student Enrollment in US Universities Hits All Time High

Pakistani student enrollment in America's institutions of higher learning rose 16% last year, outpacing the record 12% growth in the number of international students hosted by the country. This puts Pakistan among eight sources in the top 20 countries with the largest increases in US enrollment. India saw the biggest increase at 35%, followed by Ghana 32%, Bangladesh and…

Continue

Posted by Riaz Haq on April 1, 2024 at 5:00pm

Agriculture, Caste, Religion and Happiness in South Asia

Pakistan's agriculture sector GDP grew at a rate of 5.2% in the October-December 2023 quarter, according to the government figures. This is a rare bright spot in the overall national economy that showed just 1% growth during the quarter. Strong performance of the farm sector gives the much needed boost for about …

Continue

Posted by Riaz Haq on March 29, 2024 at 8:00pm

© 2024   Created by Riaz Haq.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service