Oman's Sultan Qaboos bin Said passes away at 79

Oman’s Sultan Qaboos bin Said, one of the Middle East’s longest serving rulers, passed away on Friday after a prolonged illness, state media said. 

"With great sorrow and deep sadness... the royal court mourns His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said, who passed away on Friday," a court statement said.  

Three days of official mourning have been declared, with flags flown at half-mast for 40 days for the Western-backed Qaboos, 79, who had ruled since taking over in a bloodless coup in 1970 with the help of former colonial power Britain. 

Last month he returned home after undergoing medical checks and treatment in Belgium.

There were reports he was suffering from cancer.

Sultan Qaboos was unmarried and had no heir or designated successor. 

According to the sultanate's Basic Statute, the Royal Family Council, comprising about 50 male members, should choose a new sultan within three days of the throne falling vacant. 

The high military council, in a statement carried on state media on Saturday, called on Oman’s ruling family council to convene to choose a successor. 

If the council fails to agree, a council of military and security officials, supreme court chiefs and heads of the two consultative assemblies will put in power the person whose name has been secretly written by the sultan in a sealed letter.

According to Oman observers, sultan’s three cousins: Assad, Shihab and Haitham bin Tariq al-Said, stand the best chance.

“I imagine that the succession itself will be a smooth process within Oman,” Kristian Coates Ulrichsen of the Texas-based Rice University’s Baker Institute told Reuters. 

“Sultan Qaboos had such charismatic authority and became so synonymous with Oman as a modern nation-state that it will naturally be difficult for any successor to replicate that, at least at the beginning,” Ulrichsen said. 

The sultan’s death comes at a time of heightened tension in the region between Iran and the United States and US ally Saudi Arabia.

https://onlineindusnews.weebly.com/home/omans-sultan-qaboos-bin-sai...

Views: 44

Comment

You need to be a member of PakAlumni Worldwide: The Global Social Network to add comments!

Join PakAlumni Worldwide: The Global Social Network

Pre-Paid Legal


Twitter Feed

    follow me on Twitter

    Sponsored Links

    South Asia Investor Review
    Investor Information Blog

    Haq's Musings
    Riaz Haq's Current Affairs Blog

    Please Bookmark This Page!




    Blog Posts

    Humbled Modi Reaches Out to China After Trump Turns Hostile

    Prime Minister Narendra Modi appears to be shedding his Hindutva arrogance. He is reaching out to China after President Donald Trump and several top US administration officials have openly and repeatedly targeted India for harsh criticism over the purchase of Russian oil. Top American officials have accused India, particularly the billionaire friends of Mr. Modi, of “profiteering” from the Russian…

    Continue

    Posted by Riaz Haq on August 24, 2025 at 9:00am — 4 Comments

    Miller vs Schiller: The Battle of the Lobbyists for India and Pakistan

    The Indian government has hired Jason Miller, a former Trump aide, to lobby for India in Washington, DC for a monthly sum of $150,000 per month. Pakistan has retained Keith Schiller, also a former Trump aide, for a monthly compensation of $50,000 to help Pakistan get favorable treatment by the Trump Administration. It shows that India is outspending Pakistan by 3 to 1 on lobbying in Washington, but it does not appear to be paying off for New Delhi. …

    Continue

    Posted by Riaz Haq on August 13, 2025 at 5:00pm

    © 2025   Created by Riaz Haq.   Powered by

    Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service